Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mates Without Matches

So, you're probably wondering about the title of my blog. It's a little odd but there is significance to it. When I was 19, I went to a college Bible study at church. The speaker was encouraging us young adults to use our singleness for the Lord's service. He said that these were the best years of our lives when it came to serving the Lord without having to worry or take care of your spouse or family.


Later, the speaker shared with us some humorous names of singles ministries from various churches. "Mates Without Matches" was a singles ministry for um, socks? I know for a fact that when I lose a sock in the wash, I anguish over it's location. I long to find it and need it to keep me warm and cozy. I know that if I wear it by itself, my exposed foot is lonely. Okay, that's kind of a hyperbole but I bet that's how that church came up with their cutesy singles ministry title. Anyway, I thought it was funny and dwelled on the title. The title seems to imply that these single adults were looking for their future spouse rather than focusing on bringing glory to the Lord through their single status. If it were up to me, I'd revise the name and call it "I can't find my sock, if it's your will, can you help me find it Lord?" Well, an acronym may be more fitting with that title.


My purpose for this blog is not to dwell on looking for your missing mate, but it is to encourage you as a single person as you serve the Lord. I am 31 years old and would love to be married and have a family. However, I am not desperate and know that I must cling to the Lord and His plan despite how I feel sometimes.



I want you to understand my point of view so that you don't think I am some wannabe nun but that my aim is to please the Lord. I think the Westminster Shorter Catechism is appropos to explaining our purpose in life:


"What is the chief end of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever."


That means whatever I do 24/7, I must bring God glory. Easier said than done.


Here's my brief testimony: I have heard people describe me as a religious person but that is not really what I am. I go to church each week, pray and read the Bible daily but I do that to make my relationship with God stronger rather than the traditions of any particular church.
I once heard someone define religion as man's attempt to reach God. Many religions have set instructions and traditions in belonging to their practice. Some religions are more strict than others striving toward holiness by sacrificial acts and good deeds. So what's interesting is that man's journey to be good is measured by what he thinks is good and thus compares himself to others' deeds. His motives are wrong in serving God because he is looking for ways to be good and has an ulterior motive-reward. How does man know if it's enough to earn eternal life? How does he take care of himself when he sins? In essence, it becomes man's job to save himself based on the good he does.
However, Christianity has been described as God's attempt to reach man through His son Jesus Christ. Jesus, who is God and Man became that bridge between us and God. Jesus was perfect and without sin and acted as the punishment for our sins. So, whatever we do whether in good deeds or in serving God, it doesn't determine if we have eternal life. We are saved through faith not by works (as in good deeds) so we can't compare ourselves to others. God does the saving and will not take it away even if we sin-it's not conditional. There is nothing that we can do to save ourselves. We only do good works as evidence of our faith and it is pleasing to God.
You probably know people who claim to be religious or even have an attitude of superiority but their life doesn't demonstrate anything different than someone who doesn't claim to have a relationship with God. A true Christian walks the walk and not just talk the talk. I turned my life around at the age of four and have strived to live according to His ways though not perfectly-it's a daily discipline.

I am single woman and am the oldest of 10 kids. I have one sister and two brothers that are married and a nephew that I adore. I teach high school and have found that I can channel my love and maternal instinct through my students while I am waiting for my future husband.

My attitude has not always been one of thankfulness for my singleness, but as I have matured in the Lord, He has shown me how much I can do for Him instead of focusing on myself.

Philippians 1:27-Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;





No comments: