Monday, August 11, 2008

...3,2,1...Houston, we have a problem...

When you're single, you tend to hang out with mostly with other singles. One night, my roommate and I were hanging out and having dinner with two other single roommates and we were discussing the "man shortage" in our area. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of men here in the San Francisco area but there seems to be a shortage of normal ones at church. All of us are not into barhopping and can't imagine finding our future hubby there. I half kiddingly said to one of them, "You know what I think? I think that guys our age have been aborted." She said "Aborted? Aborted, where?" I just about died laughing, yeah uh, to the moon, NASA has taken all of our eligible men. Actually, those astronauts are high quality guys but that's not exactly what I intended. I explained that I had read somewhere that a high percentage of our generation was aborted due to unwanted pregnancies. I wonder about the truth in that, let me clarify: I totally believe that a high percentage of our generation would exist if it weren't for abortions but I wonder if that's the reason for the shortage of quality men.

I also wonder why is that others can find their spouse so quickly and I can't even get a "What are you doing for lunch?" with a guy. It's fascinating to me that widows/widowers and recently- divorced can find someone and the next thing you know, they're married again and I haven't even had my first! Now, this isn't coming from a jealous heart but it's an observation of mine. I've often thought that perhaps the Lord knows (ha, I treat Him with a "perhaps He knows"attitude. How arrogant of me) who can handle a lonely heart and who can't. Maybe I'm made for the single life but then I wonder if I'm supposed to continue having the desire to marry. In the end, only the Lord knows. I do know this: In all that I do, I am made for Him and He is where I can find my complete satisfaction. Man is limited, but God isn't.





No comments: