Friday, August 15, 2008

Life's Best Security

I'd have to say that the most difficult aspects of being single is the potential for financial instability. I'm a teacher and live on a very limited budget. I can't live without a roommate because of my meager income not to mention that I live in California. I'm totally fine with this because I love my job and my students and know that this comes with the territory of teaching. However, what happens when you are on your own looking for a job and you have rent or your mortgage and other major bills due? I have found that you can't depend on your spouse's income as a buffer. You can't depend on your parents to get you a job and definitely not your friends. You are the only one-wait did I say only one? Yes I did, but I meant, you are the only human who can get yourself a job. However, God is the only one who can provide. He is the ultimate Conductor and orchestrates every note on the page of life.

I have been teaching for six years and can attest to the fact that there is never job security in life. Actually, aside from the Lord there isn't any security in anything. Each year that I've taught, I have struggled to keep my job because of credential issues beyond my control. This has made me dependent on the Lord's provision not to mention His timing.

This summer was the most difficult because I was released from my job and have had quite a rollercoaster of a ride. I was interviewed, almost hired, applied for a different job-only to find out that the principal decided to close additional sections of the program, applied for different jobs and then, (less than two days ago) got an unexpected phone call that I have a job. Talk about last minute-12 days before school starts!

This ordeal has taught me so much. God is faithful, His way is only the best and I must learn to not waiver in trusting Him. He has always come through for me-you'd think that knowing Him for 27 years would allow me to relax in Him completely. O to be human though.

I've also learned that I must depend on the Lord only, a husband won't get me a job. His income may sustain me physically but in the end, it's the Lord's security that sustains me. Many singles think or at least I used to think, "Now, if I only had a husband..." as if he would complete me.

It's been an uphill battle but as I've grown spiritually, I've come to realize that the He is the only One to complete me. I'm sure glad that my future husband does not have the responsibility to satiate all my female emotions and needs.

What the world needs now is NOT love sweet love but Christ to sustain it. All we need is NOT love but redemption. He is our all in all and great is His faithfulness!

Philippians 4:11-13- I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.

No comments: