Saturday, September 24, 2011

Up Ahead: Construction Zone

Recently, a former student visited me and I was amazed at her laziness. She graduated from high school and she doesn't do anything. She's not in school, she sleeps in until noon, doesn't have a job and her parents pay for whatever she needs or wants. And while I was appalled that she's not doing anything to progress in life, I realized that when things are handed to you, it's easy to self-indulge. And if you're not living for Christ, you're living for yourself, I shouldn't be surprised by her actions or lack thereof.

When living for Christ, it's such a continual practice to block out my needs, look to others' needs and bring glory to God. As Christians, we are called to "put off" and "put on". We're called to think on things that are noble. We're called to consider others better than ourselves. We're called to resist temptation. We're called to pick up our cross daily and follow Him. We're called to consider ourselves as sold to Christ. We're called to praise Him when we're in the midst of suffering. We're called to bring Him glory in everything we say or do. If anyone thinks that the Christian life is mindless, a crutch or easy-they have another thing coming to them.

If you haven't figured it out already, I have a weakness for griping. It used to be a mindless thing to moan about anything until I was convicted that it was indeed considered complaining. Complaining was not exactly included in the fruits of the spirit. Why is it so easy to embrace the "vegetables" of the spirit and not the fruits? One word: Sin. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that my answer didn't require much thinking. Not that I intentionally practice sinning on a daily basis, but sin is so pervasive in this world; it is a constant battle to not get caught in it.

This school year has given me reason to complain-the traffic in my morning commute that used to be semi-predictable has been testing my patience. Two of the four freeways I drive are under construction and my commute time has been stretched to an additional 10-30 minutes than it was last year. It is so hard not to get annoyed when traffic slows down to a complete halt and even more aggravating when it is without any apparent reason. I've never been late to work but one day this week, I made it to school by the skin of my teeth. I got to class five minutes before it started. For some teachers, arriving five minutes before class starts is not a problem but I like to make sure everything is exactly in place before class starts.

On the way to school, I noticed that traffic was particularly heavy and I had to turn my radio off because I was feeling overwhelmed and purposely prayed. I first petitioned God as to why the barrage of traffic, that I left an hour early for work, that I just didn't understand why this kept having to happen and that I really needed to be at work on time, etc. If I were to dissect my behavior it would look like this: 1) Slight annoyance 2) Aggravation 3) Panic 4) Complaint 5)Desperation 6)Anger 7)Puzzlement. Last time I checked, these were those things we're supposed to put off. However, my behavior didn't stop here because I have learned to still go to the Lord in the midst of suffering or trials (I know traffic is not suffering, but it felt like it in the moment). I then told the Lord that I didn't understand why I was so close to being late to work but that I knew He is sovereign in everything. At that moment, I knew that behavior actions 1-7 needed to be stopped. I knew that I needed to turn it around as praise for Him for His plan and hand in every aspect of my life. I knew that I needed to have an attitude of thanksgiving because after all, we are to give thanks in every circumstance-even it's a boondoggle.

I am reminded of the Psalms of Lament. David wrote plenty of Psalms beseeching the Father, making known his fears and complaints but he always turned his grief to praise. The Psalms demonstrate the biblical writers' thoughts the same as our own thoughts. We can easily relate to the Psalms because they are written by hurting people and they focus on finding resolve in Jesus Christ. Sometimes the little things in life may irritate us. However, when we focus on the truths found in His Word, we can find joy in the midst of those little irritations and big irritations.

Psalm 63 is about being in the midst of suffering or in the midst of a trial. David writes that his flesh thirsts for God and not water. Doesn't this bring conviction to your heart? Many times, I think I know what will satisfy me, but ultimately, God is the only one who can quench that thirst. Praise God! He is our Living Water and those that turn to Him will never be thirsty. Our joy is made complete in our satisfaction in God rather than physical comforts. Though suffering is not something we can change, we can change our response. We must thirst after our Master and run to Jesus because if we don't, we will be slaves to a ruthless task master where satisfaction will be like a fading leaf.

My life is like a construction zone in California-God's work in my life never stops. He is constantly improving it, shaping me into His image but his work will not perfected here on earth. And while I may be needing to "Slow Down for the Cone Zone" figuratively and literally, I must remember His hand in my life. His plans are full of dips and bumps, but I must not detour from His ways because He is sovereign in everything.

So, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no one because the Lord is with me every step of the way. I must run to Him and yearn for Him like no other. I know that He hasn't abandoned me and my enemies will not exalt over me because He is for me, not against me. Knowing and focusing on His truths daily remind me that I can overcome evil with good, I can put on joy when I'm feeling sorrow, I can bear my cross daily and bring Him glory in EVERY situation in ALL that I do. Praise God for making that possible in our lives!


1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me-Psalm 13

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ-Ephesians 5:18-21

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need-Hebrews 4:14-16

1 O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
3 Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
4 So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.

5 My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
6 when I remember you upon my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
7 for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
8 My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

9 But those who seek to destroy my life
shall go down into the depths of the earth;
10 they shall be given over to the power of the sword;
they shall be a portion for jackals.
11 But the king shall rejoice in God;
all who swear by him shall exult,
for the mouths of liars will be stopped-Psalm 63

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good read. It's so hard not to complain...I'm afraid it's in the sin genes!

LY.

M

Anonymous said...

Great post... yes, I too, struggle with the whys and hows of situations and fail miserably when it comes to the "no complaining" gig. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.