Saturday, August 27, 2011

My First Fryeday

I have the perfect job. I'm single and a high school teacher. The way I look at it is that God has given me the stage to live a Christian-filled life in front of teenagers. My life is on display whether they like to view it or not. I would never want to do anything that would be displeasing to Him or bring shame to His name. However, I am not perfect (though I very much would like to be) and I do find ways to hurt the Lord. Although it's not usually "first degree" sinning, I'm glad I didn't die yesterday because I know the way I acted before Him was pretty beastly-meeting Him face to face with sin on my plate is not exactly the way I want to go.

School started this week and went smoothly-nothing bad or unusual to report. I had prayed for a good night's sleep the night before the first day and I was able to fall asleep with ease. Adjusting to my schedule of getting up early, going to bed early, driving 62 miles roundtrip and working caught up with me and on Thursday, I took a nap after school.

Yesterday, I woke up for school feeling more rested but was easily irritated about any little thing. 1) I was angry about how I was physically looking and sick of working out hard and not seeing much change-that was what consumed my thoughts on the way to school. When I got to school, I sat down and just prayed for a heart that wouldn't focus on myself 2) After school, I was frustrated because I couldn't move the wet satin banner that my class painted without getting paint on myself, the carpet and smearing their names 3)It took me an hour to get to the gym from work because the traffic was horrendous and unexplainable "slow downs" were only to blame for the turtle time traffic 4)While working out on the recumbent bike, my TV didn't work. I tried another exercise bike and that TV didn't work. I pedaled away on my original bike annoyed trying to pray about my attitude 5)On my way home, I got cut off by a driver as I was changing lanes and hit almost every red light.

Needless to say, I was really annoyed with my circumstances yesterday. I allowed any little thing to bother me in a way that brought out the two year old in me. As I reflect on my atrocious behavior, I know that as a mature Christian, I can't seem to get rid of my two year old behavior. However, why should I relegate these little outbursts to just two year old behavior? The truth of the matter is that it's sinful behavior. Yesterday, I was acting like a sinner.

I know, I know, I am a sinner-I'm not in denial about that. I just wish my behavior reflected more maturity ALL of the time. I can sometimes see how God has worked in my life and I know that in the past, I'd go on a rant blaming the Lord for my daily demise. Yesterday though, in the midst of my outburst, I stopped and prayed for the Lord to help my attitude. I realized in the midst of the emotions that it's not about me and thought, "Wow, I'm so selfish."

While stuck in traffic, my pastor's sermon popped into my head (it kind of helped that I had just listened to it at work) and he said, "God is honored by the weakness of his people which demonstrates and amplifies the greatness of his power. He is most honored when His people are the most weakest so that he can be seen as the strongest." Pastor Kent Dresdow was speaking on Judges-you know, Gideon and his minuscule army? Through all of my inward grousing and outward moaning, God reminded me that in my weakness, He is strong. When I am struggling with something that I don't like or if it stirs up anger inside me, He wants me to rely on Him only for strength-not my circumstances, not my desires that are fleeting, not my status (single or married), He wants to be my rock, fortress, a bulwark that never fails.

God has me just where He wants me. What is my aim du jour? To bring Him glory forever and ever. I must do this in EVERYTHING. My life, my job, my ministry, my exercising-EVERYTHING. I may not enjoy all of the snafus of the day, but He is most honored when His people are most weak.

Last week, Mr. Dexter Frye, a beloved teacher of many years at my school, died unexpectedly in his home. Students were devastated and there were grief counselors during our staff development day for teachers to go and talk to if needed. I only knew of Mr. Frye because of his students' testimonies of him. Today, I went to his memorial and wished that I had known the man that these students adored. While I enjoyed the anecdotes about him, his quirks (he liked to wear turtlenecks all year long), his quotes, the fact that he had given his heart to Jesus at a young age, comforted me the most. While it is sad for us that Granada High School has lost a teacher, Mr. Frye gained perfection-free from the temptations of this world, free from the evil of this world and free from the heartbreaks of this world. Mr. Frye conducted his life in a manner worthy of the Gospel. Granada High School students and staff claim that he left a legacy.

As a teacher, especially one who is single and who can afford to dive into my students' lives, I hope that I can leave a legacy when I die, that I will be able to conduct my life in a manner worthy of the Gospel and that God will be able to say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant". I am ever so grateful that the Lord doesn't expect perfection from His children, that He gives strength to the weak, grace to the undeserving and peace to the brokenhearted.

His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master-Matthew 25:23

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us-II Corinthians 4:7

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong-II Corinthians 12:10

He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength-Isaiah 40:29

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself-Philippians 3:20

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world.-Philippians 2:14-15

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel-Philippians 1:27




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbie, sorry you're having a rough week. Very inspiring thoughts you have. Just stay true to who you really are, and let the little things role right off of you. You and I share many of the same values when it comes to what conduct is appropriate as a Christian. No matter how hard we try, sometimes the tough times get the best of us, but our Lord knows we aren't perfect, but as long as we stay true to ourselves and our beliefs, we are fulfilling our purpose. Keep your head up and stay positive. Before you know it, you will find yourself having everything you wish for. Sometimes things don't come when you want them the most, but when you really need it. I have a feeling things are going to start looking up for you =) 

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me recently...in the middle of lamenting, God gave me a different perspective, i.e., to pray for a better attitude, and that I would glorify Him. It is so hard to die to self, take up our cross daily and follow Him. And, we will never do it in our own strength.

I am praying for you, DD. Dad told me about the memorial service...I'm so glad that you went.

M