Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What The Girl Scouts Taught Me

On Friday, I left with my roommate, Megan to work at Girl Scout staff training for the weekend. Since she and I have been roommates, I've accompanied her on this trip to cook for 110 people who will be working at one of the Girl Scout camps during the summer. I was never involved in Girl Scouts, but Megan grew up in this troop and even earned her gold award. This year was a slightly different experience for me because I not only observed the ways of the troop, I analyzed them with wonder and learned that I could relate to them   in more ways than none.

On our way to the site (which is two hours away when you're lugging a trailer behind you), we got stuck in traffic at the Caldecott Tunnel and I started to ruminate about the weekend and the many characters I'd come in contact with. The people in Girl Scouts are a breed of their own and when I was first exposed to them, I was caught off guard by their "cultish" ways. I mean, have you met "Flingee" (in her 50s, maybe early 60s) who insists on coming through the kitchen to stock up on ice so that she can chew on it during the training sessions? Or, how about "Mother Hen" who works at an organic chicken farm and is never without her beanie with two yarn braids regardless of the weather? Or," Ziggy" who frequents the kitchen by performing "quality" checks on the food that entices her? Or, "Starr", a pediatrician at Kaiser who enjoys singing old hymns because she was in a choir as a child and was raised Lutheran. Or, "Firefly" but otherwise known as "Fly" who has the mouth of a sailor and is talented at sewing roller skating costumes and creating wedding cakes. I can't even tell you the first names of most of these people-Megan (or Sunflower) can't tell you either-and she's grown up with them!

As we continued to sit there in traffic, my mind went off on a rabbit trail as Megan and I had a conversation about Disneyland. What if someone not only paid your admission to Disneyland, they also gave you as many food vouchers and store coupons you wanted for that one day, how would you use those coupons? I started to think about it for myself, would I greedily stock up on all to my heart's content or would I use what I needed? Then of course, another rabbit trail: God had provided quail and manna for the Israelites each morning and He specifically said not to gather more than what was needed. Some of the Israelites disobeyed and as result, they got to see food decompose at its best-with maggots the next morning.

In the past (not this year though), some of the Girl Scout staff has not only been demanding, but I've watched them greedily create piles of food on their plates and then approach the kitchen window for more. And as I understand my role, it can be taxing taking all of the questions or comments about dietary restrictions or suggestions for more food or whatnot. I've had to have my own attitude adjustment because I'm there to serve and not get impatient in my heart when someone requests to look at the contents of the baked bean can (which is in the dumpster) to make sure it is truly vegetarian. Instead of wanting to say, "Can't you, for one weekend, ignore your food preferences, be thankful and just eat what is in front of you?", I've become convicted of my own ingratitude.

After going through a turbulent year financially, I was finally ready for June because my loan modification rate was finally going to apply and I could be more lax in my spending and spend more on luxury items. Well, something went awry in my modification and the normal amount was taken out of my account (I'm still working out the details with GMAC). So much for that flat screen TV or those new running shoes or new windshield or carwash or that vacation. Notice that I'm not in need of anything----I am like the Israelites, but instead, I'm wanting to hoard my money so that I can buy what I want to buy. And yet, God has provided all of my needs: food, shelter, clothing, water---those needed for everyday living. I'd probably greedily get as much food or Disney apparel I could get my hands on or if I was part of the staff training, I'd probably eat as much free food given to me too. And while I appreciate the work of the Holy Spirit in my life, I'm not so fond of having to once again admit that I struggle with the sin of greediness. However, I cannot get bogged down in not getting what I want, whenever I want it. As Job said, "The Lord giveth and taketh..." who am I to gripe about not having my luxuries met?

I know this sounds strange the way I'm putting it, but on one of the training evenings, some of the Girl Scout staff sings. They just sit in a circle and sing endlessly (it seems that way if you don't have your earplugs in when you're going to bed) and they harmonize and sing songs in rounds. This antiquated assembling is foreign to me (outside of church) and I always wonder, "What are they singing about?". Well, I know they sing a song called, "Freedom Train" , "Ezekiel Saw The Wheel", other folk and patriotic songs. While the songs don't have much significance for me, I was thinking about reasons that humans sing. When I'm not singing songs of praise or hymns, you might catch me singing Broadway showtunes. When I sing, it is usually when I'm jovial. But, when I sing worship songs, my heart is filled with joy and awe of God's ways. To me, singing demonstrates a complete trust in God and this is why I can sing when I'm fearful or anxious. So, when I went to bed on Saturday night, (outside), I stared at the tops of the trees from a prone position, looked at the multitude of stars that dotted the sky, I began to sing to the Creator of those trees and firmament.

I know that thanking the Lord for each meal is not unusual for Christians. However, I do think it is odd that the Girl Scout troop sings "grace" before each meal. One of the prayer songs is actually sung to the hymn, "O God Our Help In Ages Past" and another is called "Hallelujah Gracias SeƱor". It's definitely not the way I express my thanks to the Lord for His provision, but I'm befuddled that The Girl Scouts of America think it is important enough to give thanks to God. Could it be true that man does have God's law written on his heart? Could God's Word actually be true? My heart does not need to answer those questions, but what about your heart? Do you believe that man is without excuse on the day of judgement because God's law is ingrained in the heart of man, that man chose to do what he wanted-lived a life to satisfy his own pleasures? Have you ever been caught saying, "Thank God..."or, have you ever said, "Oh God, help me..."? when you don't profess to have a relationship with Him?  Do you find that odd? I don't because there is an innate sense of God in every man's heart. John Calvin wrote, "Instead of ascending higher than themselves as they ought to do, they measure [H]im by their own carnal stupidity, and, then neglecting solid inquiry, fly off to indulge their curiosity in vain speculation. Hence, they do not conceive [H]in in the character in which [H]e is manifested, but imagine [H]im to be whatever their rashness devised"*.


If I've ever been in a group where I'm the only Christian, I've found myself feeling lonely and sad that this group shares nothing in common with me. However, being away at Girl Scout staff training was a reminder that I can still freely worship my Lord and Savior.  While I didn't learn to tie knots that actually have names to them, I learned that there are indeed snippets of God throughout the training. Not to mention, I'm there to serve and that alone, should elicit an excitement for me-it does, just don't ask me to go find the empty bean can in the dumpster :)



For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things-Romans 1:20-23 


The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds,
there is none who does good-Psalm 14:1 

Sing to the LORD a new song,
his praise from the end of the earth,
you who go down to the sea, and all that fills it,
the coastlands and their inhabitants-Isaiah 42:10 


Sing to him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts-Psalm 33:3 



He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the LORD-Psalm 40:3

And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”-Luke 12:15



Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!-Psalm 119:36 




*http://www.abu.nb.ca/courses/grphil/philrel/CalvinLecture.htm


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm wiping tears from the corners of my eyes. I loved reading about God's goodness...it helps me love Him more...and reading your thoughts reminds me to praise the Lord for giving me a daughter like you.

Oh, and about car washes...we get them free now...a perk with Micah's employment. Hoorah! Dad got one today. Also, I need to use my Groupon washes, so please use one of the vouchers. I will email you the link, and code.

LY,

M