Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Soul Belongs To God, I know


With every new class that I teach, in my introduction, I always explain in the end (as if it was an afterthought), that I'm available and looking for a husband. Usually, my students get a good laugh because it's not expected on the first day that they meet me. And then of course, I also make it known that I am not open to dating their single dads. Well, now it's my students' mission to either find me a husband, get me involved in the dating world or set me up with some guy they know. "Miss Csider, we need to get you on eHarmony.com or Christianmingle.com or plentyoffish.com" or "Miss Csider, we'll make a profile for you on Christianmingle.com".


Since this subject comes up with friends or acquaintances quite often, I thought I would explain why I'm not interested in online dating---at this time. I realize that times have changed and more singles have used the internet as a means to put themselves out there to increase their chances of meeting their soul mate. I've met several couples who've had success with online dating and have even married. Yes, I'm an old-fashioned girl and if I did get married, I might even wear a long-sleeved wedding gown because I'm traditional. However, being an old-fashioned girl is not what keeps me from online dating. I simply don't feel called to by God. I realize that for some, this is such a foreign concept-to be called by God. However, I am confident that God has me just where He wants me. I could be wrong, but I don't have a compelling urge to join any online dating services right now. I'm not saying that I am committed to this stance forever because I always want to be open to whatever God has in my life. 


I realize that there are some who lack the same kind of faith I have and I know this faith is not my own. In other words, I believe that God has given me the spiritual gift of faith and so this is nothing in which I can boast as my own accomplishment. No matter how foolish the Cross may sound to an unbeliever, it makes perfect sense to me. Even if I may question God and His ways, I am reassured that His ways are not my ways and there is no need for me to be in the know about everything. For whatever reason, trusting the Lord in everything is almost natural for me. 


There are some people who doubt God and who He is and there are even some Christians who struggle with unbelief. George Mueller defined such faith as follows: "Faith is the assurance that the things which God said in His Word are true; and that God will act according to what He has said in His Word. This assurance, this reliance on God's Word, this confidence, is Faith." My heart aches for those that struggle with unbelief and trust. 


I get it, there are some who don't believe in God or rest in the fact that pulling yourself up by your bootstraps  will guarantee satisfaction and success. But, what happens when those bootstraps become worn from all that pulling? I only know for myself that when I march to my own drum, I end up tooting my own horn and don't give the Conductor the credit that He deserves.


And these are the times where I've had to remind myself of God's truths, His attributes and His ways and not to continue putting faith into my own ways.  I've learned to find satisfaction in His ways and where He has me in life at this time-no online dating is needed-for now. As Jean Valjean sings in Les Miserables, "My soul belongs to God I know", not any soul mate at this time. And, I'm okay with that.


For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls-1 Peter 2:25 


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope-Jeremiah 29:11 


His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire-2 Peter 1:3-4 


And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus-Philippians 4:19


Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints,


for those who fear him have no lack!-Psalm 34:9 


For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
 the LORD bestows favor and honor.
No good thing does he withhold
 from those who walk uprightly-Psalm 84:11 

























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Marian. Not everyone is meant to find harmony on EHarmony. :)