Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Season of Perpetual Hope

December is such a crazy month and it's easy to lose focus on why we do what we do. For me, many of my expectations aren't met and I can get discouraged with the let-down that comes with it. And I'm not referring to the lack of a husband during Christmas (although for singles, holidays can be really tough) but to the disappointments and set-backs of the Christmas season.

Growing up, we used to (still do) watch "Home Alone" and there's this scene where Kevin's mom is trying to get home to her son who's been left alone. As she attempts to buy a ticket for a booked flight, she blasts the airline employee and explains that Christmas is the season of perpetual hope and that there should be a way for her to fly home.

How odd that this actually hits home for me in that when my expectations aren't met, I can sometimes become downtrodden about it. One of my favorite things at Christmas is to buy gifts for people. I LOVE it. It's fun to be able to find an excuse to be generous. Well, this month and last month, I've found that I've been flat broke. And while it is mind-boggling, I also know that I made big purchases this fall, I paid more than what was required on my bills and I tithed generously. Even though, I've pretty much finished the bulk of my Christmas shopping, I was saddened that I was broke. I was bummed that I couldn't buy more for others and be free with my money. I found myself weepy about it and beseeched the Lord as to why my paycheck practically disappeared almost as quickly as it came. As I sank into a temporary depression, I started to think about the fact that I've been paying into a house that has no equity at this time. As I poured my heart out to the Lord, I was reminded of three things: 1) I've paid all of my bills on time and even "over"-paid them 2) My home is not of this world. My treasures and equity are in heaven and that God promises to take care of my needs-not my wants (which would include equity in my home). 3) Did I allow my circumstances to dictate my joy?

The other set-back for me this month was that I was sick all week. Every day, I left work early so that I could go home and rest. I had so many expectations-pack (for the December 30 move into a house with my roommate), work out, get ready for Christmas, get ready for the Christmas program, enjoy the Christmas evenings, cook, etc. I was so disappointed to be sick and by the third day, I was becoming thoroughly annoyed. I so wanted to enjoy life during this time of year and be of "good cheer", but that clearly didn't happen. I began to realize that instead of succumbing to anger about being sick for "so long", I realized that I'm a baby. People with cancer are perpetually sick and they'd give anything to have what I had for five days. I realized that I needed a reality check with the Lord. I was doing the very thing I hate-I was complaining and not having much thanksgiving and yet, the Lord calls us to be thankful in EVERY circumstances. Did I just let my circumstance dictate my joy?

I realize that giving gifts, being healthy,vacation,visiting family,decorating your house, going to parties, caroling, etc. are not bad in and of themselves, but they can be a huge diversion from celebrating the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of Jesus. I guess I can get caught up in the throes of it all and am sorely disappointed when sickness or other issues prevent me from enjoying those fun things during this time of year. I'm a sucker for doing just what Satan desires of me-hey, as long as I'm focused on the things of this world and not on Jesus, I'm doing great.

When I start to focus on the things of this world, I must, must go to the Word and remind myself of my ultimate purpose here on earth: to bring Him glory and enjoy Him forever. It is Jesus I must worship-nothing else. Our expectations are self-made and if we're going to become discouraged when they're not met, then what does that say about the state of our hearts? My joy must be found in my Savior-not my circumstances.

Although December is crazy because of the hustle and bustle, it is not a season of perpetual hope. Hopefully, the life of a Christian reflects that perpetual hope EVERYDAY-not for a season.


Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and ruste destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also-Matthew 6:19-21

Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist-Proverbs 23:4

“But watch yourselves lest your hearts be weighed down with dissipation and drunkenness and cares of this life, and that day come upon you suddenly like a trap-Luke 21:34

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord-Luke 2:11

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior-Habakkuk 3:17-18

I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels-Isaiah 61:10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Marian... I, too, find myself caught up in the hustle and bustle that this season brings and often need to focus on why I celebrate this season anyway. Great post and no worries about the move, a little birdie told me that the big stuff isn't being moved until the 7th of January. :)

Anonymous said...

I confessed my lack of gratitude just this morning! How I complain and grumble--even at the slightest things. Yeterday, I was struggling w/griping, but began to give thanks, and, before too long, I had a different attitude.

As always, thanks for the timely reminder.

I love you.