Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thankful For My Fridge

Thanksgiving encompasses sharing and coming together as a family but its purpose is to give thanks for the Lord's provision in our life. Edward Winslow was an American Pilgrim leader on the Mayflower and his testimony of the first Thanksgiving is in "Mourt's Relation": (the spelling has been modernized) "our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together, after we had gathered the fruits of our labors; they four in one day killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the Company almost a week, at which time amongst other Recreations, we exercised our Arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and amongst the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five Deer, which they brought to the Plantation and bestowed on our Governor, and upon the Captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plenty." (my emphasis)


Last summer, there was an article put out by the Heritage Foundation called, "Air Conditioning, Cable TV, and an Xbox: What is Poverty in the United States Today?" The article basically stated that very few Americans are truly poor. Perhaps they are inconvenienced but not so much impoverished. In fact, most Americans have their needs met.


Ahhh, but therein lies the rub, what are needs? I believe that our most basic needs are food, shelter, and clothing. Forget about your preferences because those are not considered needs.


A couple of years ago, I was listening to the radio and I was awestruck by what the commentator said. I'm not sure why it hit me the way it did, but it was probably the catalyst that has changed my view of having my needs met. He said that owning a refrigerator implies that we have food for tomorrow. I know that some refrigerators are not as full as others, but the fact that we own one in America would imply storage of food. I am blessed to already have some ingredients in my refrigerator as opposed to the rice paddy workers in China that have no idea what they may eat for dinner. Now, when I think about my refrigerator, my heart is thankful that God has abundantly provided for me.


I thought it would be apropos to dwell on giving thanks because after all, it is Thanksgiving on Thursday. I could go on and on about the ways that the Lord has blessed me but I am only going to reflect on this week.


This week, we had our first trimester finals and any time I give a final, it is a lot of work putting it together, making copies, making a video (in ASL), reading essays and completing all of the last minute work from the students who decided that some points are better than none- no matter how late they are in turning in their work. Well, my days at work began early in the morning and didn't end until close to bed time for the first couple of nights. I was buried in work. There were some days that I felt so unsettled and scatterbrained and my desk had different piles for me to plow through. I approached my work with an attitude of trust and thankfulness. I knew that I had to rely on God's strength to get me through all of this work and rather than complain, I found myself thankful that I even have a job. This morning, a Facebook friend complained about having to be at work at 5:45 in the morning and I almost commented, "But, you have a job". Most people don't realize that the term, "work" actually means "work"-who said that it was going to be cushy and always enjoyable? It's work! So, I've learned in the last couple of years to praise God for the work He provides because we are definitely not entitled to having a steady job.


This week, I also paid my bills and the most dreaded one: property tax. Ugh, who wants to pay for that? Well, how many people own a house? I am so thankful that God gave me the opportunity to buy and even though my house is upside down in its value, my property taxes are lower. God knows exactly what I can and can't afford-I'm thankful that I am able to pay my bills even if things were a little tighter than usual.


I've been quasi training for a half marathon (lately, working out has been put on the back burner because I've been inundated with work and church) and as I've said in previous posts, I despise running. I know, I know, no one's putting a gun to my head demanding that I run! On Thursday, the first workout day for me, I was able to run ten miles. I prayed for strength throughout and despite a failing disk in my back, God got me through the ten miles. I am grateful for the body that He has given me and it is a reminder that I am to be grateful when I am cursing the hips that I own.


As I've said in the past, my commute is slightly obnoxious and two of the four freeways I drive are under construction. These days, it is not unusual for my 31 mile trek to last an hour. I am reminded of all the alone time in the car that God has provided to praise Him and I am thankful. I am also thankful to Him for providing a car and the gas to get to work and for keeping me safe on the road each day.


I had a semi migraine on Thursday and I was so grateful that I had a bed to rest in and for medication to aid in fighting it. Also, the fact that school let out at 12:30 was a huge blessing because I had time to rest at home during the day.


On Friday, I was shocked and grieved to find out that a former student died in a freak car accident early that morning. She left behind a husband who is serving in the Marines and a seven month old baby and she was only 18. I don't know if she ever had a personal relationship with Jesus and I have no idea what took place at the scene of the accident. The Bible commands us to give thanks in everything. When a Christian dies, it is much easier to give thanks despite the pain of losing someone. I think the only way I can give thanks is out of obedience. I am thankful that the Lord is completely sovereign and that He wasn't momentarily looking away. I am thankful that in His eyes, it wasn't at all a freak accident. I am thankful that her baby will be taken care of and that she has a supportive family. I am thankful that no one else was hurt in the accident. I am thankful that God brings about these situations and causes us to dwell on our own mortality. I am thankful for the longings that God stirs up in others' hearts to be right before Him.


Today at church, the sermon was called "Happy to Be Home" and I was not only thankful for a church that doesn't water down the sermons, but that it's a church that strives for obedience to God's Word. I am also thankful that I was reminded of His love for me, that I was adopted by the Lord and I will one day be made pure. Lastly, I am thankful that my life here is only temporary and my true Home is awaiting me where I will be greeted by Jesus.


So, what can you give thanks for each day? Do you find that God blesses you in unexpected ways each day? Can you give thanks despite your circumstances? May your joy be found in Him!


“My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.-Luke 1:46-49


Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you-I Thessalonians 5:18


Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name-I Chronicles 29:11-13


Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!-Psalm 107:1


And they sang responsively, praising and giving thanks to the LORD, “For he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever toward Israel.” And all the people shouted with a great shout when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid-Ezra 3:11


For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations-Psalm 100:5


*http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/07/what-is-poverty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I praise God for children like you who love and serve God. I look forward to sharing our thankfulness together on T'giving. Praise the Lord.

Good post.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been thinking about the seemingly small things that I am thankful for like a fridge, car, ability to serve others, ability to run even though I, too, hate it. We are blessed and I am thankful for you!