Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Case of the Snappy Turtle

I like the summer but I'm not a huge fan of the heat. I don't understand why some people love the heat but maybe they grew up with a cool house. Growing up, we didn't have air conditioning and I remember trying anything to stay cool. Sleeping (or not sleeping) during the heat is the worst and flipping my pillow to the "cooler" side was my attempt to not succumb to the inferno that I considered my bedroom. I remember literally tossing and turning angrily as I tried to sleep and sighing loudly. Now that I have A/C in my own house, I don't hesitate to use it if the temperature has reached the low 70s. A "side" effect of the heat is that my true personality comes out. If my house gets too hot, I get really cranky and my roommate has been known to give me a nickname: Snappy Turtle.

Last night, it was a bit hot and I wasted my time attempting to make an origami magic ball. Origami? Yes. I've always liked doing crafty stuff since I was a kid and thanks to a fascinating documentary (recommended by my mom) on origami, my interest was piqued. However, it's not like I'm talented at mountain, valley or water bomb folds and to create something intricate, requires tons of patience and perseverance. Oh, and practice would be another small requirement needed for successful folding.

I have tons of patience and perseverance when it comes to challenges and quitting is not usually an option-at least in my mind it isn't. Unfortunately, this patience doesn't always crossover when it comes to family or in my case, my roommate Megan. You can probably surmise where this is going: Heat+frustrating origami issues=Snappy Turtle.

This year, God has been convicting me when I indulge in being impatient. Typically, my impatience likes to rear its ugly head when I'm tired, I've had a bad day, if I have a headache or when I'm around someone who makes ANY noise while eating. Why is it easy to be short or impatient with those whom you love? How astounding is it that I have the patience of Job with the personalities of over 100 teenagers each day and yet, I let more than my hair down when I arrive home?

If I succumb to my real emotions at work, I'd probably be out of a job. When I get home, I have the security that I will be loved whether I'm patient or not. In the past, I have failed to recognize my impatience and worse, I haven't given it the gravity it deserves as a sin.

Regardless of what triggers my inclination to be impatient, I must be patient all of the time. As Christians, we are called to a higher standard than those around us who are "allowed" to let it fly. How am I being different if I'm being short or easily perturbed over someone crunching their cereal?

I'm a biblical counselor at my church and putting an end to our sin is much simpler than screaming into a pillow or counting to 10 or going for a long run. If I were to counsel myself to control my impatience, I would first recognize that God doesn't tempt us and that He provides a way of escape. My reactions to any annoyance is not out of my control. Secondly, I have to recognize that the Lord has given us tools to fight these spiritual battles and that we can do all things through Him. We are without excuse in how we respond to any sin.

I am thankful that the Lord didn't make this too complex for us-it's a choice we have to make in quenching our sin. This reminds me of Bob Newhart in a skit on "Mad TV"*. A patient comes into his office for therapy and after explaining all of her problems, Newhart starts to explain that there's a cure for her problems. The ecstatic patient eagerly awaits his solution and then Newhart yells, "Just stop it!". I know that as a counselor, we obviously go much deeper to the heart of the problem but ultimately, we must do as Newhart advises,"Just stop it". When the world wants us to dissect ourselves and come up with explanations for how we act, the Bible has taught us this: 1)We have a sick heart that is desperately wicked and 2)With God, all things are possible.

So even though I can avoid all of the "triggers" to my impatience, I must practice patience when I just don't feel like it. I cannot imagine hanging on the cross and then having the forbearance to make sure my mom will be taken care of by John, forgive the thief who was mocking me earlier and then die for those that don't deserve it. That's kind of a hard act to follow-my reasons for impatience are not worthy compared to the sufferings of Christ's on the cross.

What a wretch am I- but God, right? He was rich in love and lavished His mercy and grace on me so that I may have life. Is there even a need to indulge in impatience? Nope.

For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing-Romans 7:15-19

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the bodya and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—Ephesians 2:1-5


No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it-I Corinthians 10:13

A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God-Ephesians 6:10-17

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength-Philippians 4:13

You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God-I Peter 3:4

Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude-I Peter 3:8




*Bob Newhart on Mad TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous work, Snappy Turtle. You failed to mention that you are very diligent to ask for forgiveness and change your attitude when your impatience gets the best of you. I appreciate that and pray for that kind of quick change in my own heart... sometimes I'm a bit stubborn. Great post!

MG

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been struggling w/patience this summer. I have begun to realize that I am a selfish person, and continue to fight myself on a continuum. It has caused me to (again) rejoice in these verses:

"...but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." Romans 7:23-25

Recently, Charissa was over here, and, all of a sudden, I was in a bad mood. It's simply amazing how those feelings of grouchiness can wash over you. (It was unrelated to Charissa.) I told her that I was struggling w/being in a bad mood. She said something like Bob Newhart said, "You just gotta fight it!" Those were simple, yet profound words that stuck w/me.

Keep up the good work.

LY.

Marianthelibrarian said...

..."Thanks be to God"...great verse. Thanks for being supportive and reading my blog Madre. LY2!